Tribes of Nagaland
Assam – Nagaland Road Trip
Attractions: Historical Monuments of Sivasagar
Visiting of various Tribal villages in Nagaland
Hornbill Festival (1st week of December in each year)
Rhino Trail in Kaziranga National Park
Silk City of Assam, Sualkuchi
Best time to visit: Nov Last week (Due to Hornbill Fest during 1st week of Dec), In the remaining Winter also it is best to visit.
Routes: Dibrugarh / Sivasagar / Mon / Mokokchung / Touphema / Kohima / Kaziranga NP / Guwahati/ Sualkuchi Village / Guwahati Airport
Duration: 13 Nights/14 Days
Trip Overview: It is an incredible tribal tours covering lots of Villages in Nagaland. A home of near about 16 tribes the state has much more to explore. Tribe and clan traditions and loyalties play an important part in the life of Nagas. Weaving is a traditional art handed down through generations in Nagaland. Each of the tribe has its own unique designs and colors, producing shawl, shoulder bags, decorative spears, table mats, wood carvings, and bamboo works. Also the History of Assam and Wildlife experiences will be prime attractions.
Day 1: Arrival at Dibrugarh Airport, Eastern part of Assam State
Post arrival at Dibrugarh Airport, you will be transfer to Hotel. Remaining time is free for you. Overnight.
Day 2: Dibrugarh to Sivasagar Historical Place (2 Hours drive)
Early breakfast and move to Sivasagar, the Land of Ahom Royals. The drive to this town is a wonderful experience – Assamese Village life, paddy and Tea Gardens and sightings of Lesser Adjutant Storks etc you will encounter. The Attractions in Sivasagar:
A) Shiva Dol, at 55 meter in height, is the tallest of these structures.
B) Kareng Ghar, this brick palace is a unique four storey structure shaped like a sharpened, stepped pyramid. Dating from 1752 it’s the last remnant of the Ahom Capital that preceded Sivasagar.
C) Talatal Ghar, it was the defence head quarter.
D) Ranghar, its a unique amphitheatre/Royal Sports Pavilion built during 1744-50.
E) Joy dol (temple) and Joysagar pukhuri (Largest pond in the World).
Before dark, move to Jorhat, 1 Hour drive and overnight stay.
Day 3: Jorhat to Mon in Nagaland, Apprx. 6 Hours drive
This day, we will enter the Nagaland, in Mon District and is the stronghold of the proud Konyak tribe, one of largest tribes of Nagaland. The road is bumpy and takes time to reach Mon from Jorhat. By late afternoon, reach Mon and check in hotel.
Day 4: Explore Mon
Full day explore Mon including Chui and Longwa villages.
Here former head-hunters with their tattood faces and big horns in their ears can still be admired. Mon offers the best opportunity for finding semi-traditional villages and tattooed warriors in loincloths. They are famous for their craftsmanship in making woodcarvings, necklaces etc. The Mon landscape has the densest landscape in Nagaland and the plains of Assam can be delightfully viewed from high up in the hills.
The district’s largest village, Longwa, is situated right on the Myanmar (Burma) border. Konyaks are still ruled by hereditary chiefs known as Anghs. The Angh (king) of Longwa commands about 50 villages from both the side.
Overnight stay at Mon.
Day 5: Mon to Mokokchung (7 hours)
Morning move to Mokokchung, the home of Ao tribe of Nagaland, is situated at an altitude of 1,325 Meters above the sea level. Mokokchung town is the third most important urban hub in Nagaland. They are famous for their colorful dances.
Before dark reach Mokokchung and overnight stay.
Day 6: Explore Mokokchung
Explore Mokokchung. Visit Mopungchuket Village, perhaps the best kept village in Nagaland. Often referred to as Ao heartland, you can absorb yourself in tribal culture here. Every house opens onto a well tended garden, and the people are accustomed to visitors and welcome a chat. Also visit Longkham village. The villagers are very friendly in nature and they feel proud to showcase their rich handicrafts and handlooms to the visitors.
Overnight in Mokokchung.
Day 7: Mokokchung to Touphema (5 hours)
Post breakfast move to Touphema (Land of Angami Tribe) in Kohima District via Wokha district, the land of Lotha Tribe. Reach Touphema by afternoon and on arrival check into neatly appointed huts built in the traditional Angami Naga style. Post arrival have a Guided walks through the village. Evening, if possible, enjoy Angami Naga dance and also ethnic food with rice beer.
Overnight in Touphema Village.
Day 8: Touphema to Kohima (Around 2 hours drive)
Post breakfast move to Kohima, the capital city of Nagaland located at an altitude of 1,444 meters. Those who’re interested in history will find a visit to the Kohima War Cemetery worthwhile. This cemetery is a tribute to the soldiers who laid down their lives pushing back the Japanese army during World War II. The bodies of around 1,100 British and 330 Indian soldiers are buried there. After that, if time permits, visit Kisama Heritage Village for Hornbill Festival.
Night stay we have 2 Options:
A) At Mima Village with Deluxe room with all modern amenities. This village is just 7 kms from Hornbill Festival venue and outside of Kohima Town. Here you will experience Campfire, local drinks and some cultural activities with the locals. OR
B) Deluxe hotels in Kohima.
Day 9: In Kohima (Hornbill Festival at Kisama Heritage Village)
This day we will visit the Kisama Heritage Village where around 16 main tribes of Nagaland gather to transform the festival ground to a traditional village with different style of Morungs (House). You can experience the local beers, meals, dances with locals etc.
Day 10: Kohima to Kaziranga National Park (Assam), 5 Hours drive
Post breakfast move to Kaziranga National Park in the plains of Assam which is around 5 Hours drive from Kohima. Afternoon reach Kaziranga and check in hotel.
Day 11: In Kaziranga National Park (1 Elephant ride and 2 rounds of Jeep safari)
Early morning explore Kaziranga National Park on Elephant Back. Post Breakfast avail one round Jeep safari in Western range and post lunch avail one more round of Jeep safari in Eastern range.
Day 12: Kaziranga and move to Guwahati
Morning avail one more round of Jeep safari in Central Range. Post lunch, move to Guwahati and reach by evening. Evening is free for you.
Check in hotel.
Day 13: Guwahati – Sualkuchi – Guwahati (Silk City of Assam)
Post breakfast, move to Sualkuchi, also called as the Manchester of Assam.
It is situated on the north bank of the river Brahmaputra, about 35 km from Guwahati. It is World’s one of the largest weaving villages where the entire population is engaged in weaving exquisite silk fabrics. A renowned centre for Silk production, particularly known for Muga, the Golden Silk of Assam which is not produced anywhere else in the World. Walk and drive around the Sualkuchi Village. Afternoon back to Guwahati. Visit Handucraft emporium in Guwahati and evening avail Brahmaputra River Cruising with Dinner.
Back to hotel and overnight stay.
Day 14: Drop at Guwahati Airport
Post breakfast, as per flight schedule, drop at Guwahati Airport for onward journey.
Tour ends here.
Cost: On Request. Kindly mail us for any clarifications, other requirements and for any customization.
What can be Included:
1. Private transportation by Toyota Innova (upto 5 Heads) /Mahindra Scorpio (upto 3 heads)
2. Accommodation on twin sharing basis as per itinerary.
4. Sightseeing and entrance fee as mentioned in the itinerary.
5. 1 elephant safari and 3 rounds of Jeep safari in Kaziranga.
6. Brahmaputra River cruising in Guwahati.
7. Permits for Nagaland.
8. One Local Guide during the Nagaland Tour Part.
What is NOT Included:
1. Remaining Guidance charge. If you want to avail it, kindly let us know.
2. Camera Fee wherever applicable.
3. Any extra meals.
4. Cost for Travel Insurance, airfare, train fare or any other internal fare.
5. Personal expenses such as laundry, soft drinks, mineral water, porter, tip, phone calls etc.
6. Liability for or insurance against personal injury, loss of life, accidents or loss of goods.
7. Expenses incurred due to change in oil price, mishaps, landslide, strike, political unrest etc. In such case, extra will be charged as per actual which will be collected directly from the guest.
8. Govt Service Tax extra as per applicable.
1. If you would like to avail another car, please add another 63,000 INR to your trip cost for the group.
2. The above itinerary is not fixed and can be changed as per your convenience. Please do let us know via mail if you need any changes.
3. Regarding Accommodation, it would be as per availability and best rooms will be given priority in every place. Please note also that, here in North East India, only in few places the Luxury accommodations are available. But, we always keep in mind about the hygiene and cleanliness.
4. In Nagaland, it will be quite cold in the mornings and evenings and so do carry adequate and appropriate wear.
5. Every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes, bad weather, landslide etc., which are beyond our control, all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes without prior notice and any additional cost, will be borne by the guests directly.